Salary: £16,000 per annum
Closing date: 7th October 2018
Interview date: TBC
Job Title: Business Development Manager, Private Functions & Events
Location: Cardigan Castle
Responsible To: Castle Director
Purpose of this job
• To work with the Castle Director to deliver a pro-active sales strategy for the castle’s commercial events business.
• To proactively market, sell and promote the F&E offer and build relationships with third parties (agents, venue finders, party/wedding planners) to increase new business and repeat business.
• To work with the Castle’s catering provider to ensure smooth running of all events from start to finish.
• To work with the Castle Director & catering provider to develop the F&E offer, maximising revenues and providing a 5 star service to customers.
Key areas of responsibility:
1. Contribute to the development of the annual sales plan to maximise the commercial potential.
2. Meet individual annual income targets from F&E business.
3. Support the organisation of and attendance at industry trade shows and exhibitions. Represent Cardigan Castle to sell F&E products, raise awareness and build relationships.
4. Develop an in house F&E booking system to input new enquires, update information on key accounts, data management and produce reports on sales leads in line with GDPR responsibilities.
5. Support the Castle Director to continually identify new commercial opportunities and create new products in response to industry demands.
6. Carry out research on third parties and individuals using various print and online platforms to identify new leads,
contacts and potential new markets.
7. Produce collateral including presentations and displays for sales activity in agreement with the Castle Director.
8. Carry out regular sales meetings and act as account manager with new and existing clients / third party buyers. Build and maintain relationships to introduce the Castle’s event portfolio to new clientele and encourage repeat business from existing contacts.
1. Actively use social media to promote Cardigan Castle’s F&E offer and coordinate targeted social media campaigns in cooperation with Castle Director and marketing partners.
2. Keep up to date with current market trends, influences and operations.
3. Proactively build strong working relationships with all Castle Departments.
4. Undertake any other relevant duties which fall under the general scope of this role as directed by the Castle Director.
Core Qualities and Behaviours In addition to your main areas of responsibility, the following core qualities and behaviours are required from all staff.
• Ensure every customer (internal and external) feels delighted with their contact with Cardigan Castle and the quality of the personal service/experience they receive.
• Manage yourself and others effectively through planning, organizing and anticipating problems ahead.
• Deliver work on time and to the high standards required, by taking ownership for outcomes, demonstrating pride in their achievement.
• Explore and try fresh, novel ways of doing things.
• Continually develop expertise in key areas of your role, to ensure delivery of high quality work.
• Develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of the organisation, so that all your actions help achieve the best outcomes for Cardigan Castle.
• Support and guide your colleagues so they feel valued and inspired to succeed in their work
In addition to Key Areas of Responsibility and Core Qualities and Behaviours above, you are also required to have read, understood and comply with the rules/standards contained your Staff Handbook.
Job Advert and Person Specification:
Business Development Executive: Functions & Events
Days/Hours of work Part Time – 24 hours. You must be prepared to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends if the events schedule requires it.
About the role We currently have an immediate vacancy in the Function and Events team for a Business Development Executive. Reporting into and working closely with the Castle Director, you will be working together to deliver a pro-active sales strategy for the commercial events & Weddings business. Supporting the friendly and efficient Function and Events team, you will be a like-minded individual with a passion for events and the history of the castle.
Your challenge will be to proactively market, sell and promote the F&E and Weddings offer and build relationships with third parties (event management agencies, venue finders and wedding planners) to increase new business and repeat business.
Using your knowledge of the events industry, you will efficiently carry out research on third parties and individuals using various print and online platforms to identify new leads, contacts and potential new markets. In addition to this you will support the Castle Director to continually identify new commercial opportunities and create new products in response to industry demands. This role is about communication as much as organisation; you will be expected to represent Cardigan Castle at industry trade shows, networking events and proactively build strong working relationships with all departments.
You have proven experience in proactive and reactive sales in a 4* or 5* environment. With knowledge and understanding of the events industry, you will be a self-motivated individual, with strong communication and networking skills. Possessing the ability to work on your own initiative, you must be flexible and adaptable. A team player, you will be passionate about events and have an interest in history and Cardigan Castle’s unique story. Experience of having worked within a similar organisation with third party caterers is desirable as well as demonstrable experience of wedding planning and coordination. Finally, you must be prepared to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends if the events schedule requires it. The ability to communicate through the medium of Welsh is desirable.
To apply for this role, please email an up to date CV along with a covering letter supporting your application to the Castle Director; firstname.lastname@example.org